Friday, August 29, 2008

Do you LIVE STRONG?


Remission Year 1:
Jules 1, Cancer 0


See, ya’ll – what my cancer didn’t understand is that I’m on the home team, and I’m undefeated. Cancer didn’t have a chance when it met me. Leuk (my nickname for my leukemia), got a one-way express ticket to Heaven…and that loser better have enjoyed that ride because that ticket set me back in medical bills more than he’s worth. It just goes to show that you can’t be friends with cancer. I mean, the loser stops by and the next thing you know, you’re spending a year of your life paying a professional to evict the pathetic excuse for pond scum. :)

So, I’m cheering that I made it through my first year after I found out that I was “officially” in remission. AUGUST 30, 2007. The date I will never forget. I mean, it’s a year later (tomorrow), and I am still 100% officially free of deadbeat Leuk. I'm spending my time on cancer advocacy and starting up the LIVESTRONG Army in San Diego.

I’ve been going through an annual round of check-ups (bone marrow biopsy, spinal tap, blood test). My oncologist and I reviewed my test results today, and looking back over the past few years, I can see just how sick I really was back then. Especially when he squints at you…pauses…smiles….and says, “wow – I’m surprised we made it this far.” I’M ON THE HOME TEAM BABY! Of course, I made it this far! BRING IT ON and LIVESTRONG! (Insert cheerleading routine here.) I have been told that so far the test results are “unremarkable.” Normally, I would be offended by hearing such words --- after all, my mom always told me I’m special --- but in the world of cancer, being “unremarkable” is the coolest thing anyone can tell you. In fact, in a total LIVESTRONG move, I think I’ll go to the beach tomorrow on my 1 year “re-birthday” and yell on the top of my lungs, “I’M UN-REMARKABLE!” If anything ,the looks I’ll generate from all the San Diego tourists ought to be worth it.

Can’t wait for my remission re-birthday tomorrow....and when it hits, the only question I'll ask you is, "DO YOU LIVE STRONG?" Unite & fight cancer. CURES ROCK!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first cancerversary!
    I too can remember the first time my oncology nurse told me that my CT was "unremarkable". I thought the same thing you did- darn I thought I was pretty special. But hearing that it was the same as the last one I was ecstatic.
    Enjoy our day at the beach.

    Dee
    Ovarian 2005
    LiveStrong Summit '06,'08

    PS May I ask what process you used to make your blog name trademarked? I'd like to do the same with mine- womenofteal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments!

Lance Armstrong's "Tour de France" Dedication to Julie

A great reminder that I had armies of support beside me in my fight. (Thanks, Lance!) Even with the recent media, this video isn't about the bike...but the fight against cancer. LIVESTRONG!

Stage 2 Dedication: Julie Westcott -- powered by http://www.livestrong.com

Guinness World Record Broken to Fight Cancer

We *Heart* Our Fans

Cures Rock! on Facebook

Donate & fight to kick cancer to the curb!

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.
January 1 - 17, 2010
All Content and Images (unless specified otherwise), Copyright Cures Rock! 2007-2012.