Sunday, August 30, 2009

8//30. We Are Not Done.

One year ago today, 8/30, I celebrated being cancer-free.

Cancer survivors celebrate important milestones in their treatments. For example, Lance Armstrong celebrates 10//2 (the day he found out he had cancer) as LIVESTRONG Day around the world.

For me, I celebrated being cancer-free. With cupcakes. Which I proceeded to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner that day.

Then,
Cancer came back.

In fact, I forgot about this 8/30 date because it seemed irrelevant to me now -- until my sister reminded me of it. At first, it's easy to inwardly groan and be angry -- and then we quickly set our sights on the fact that soon, we'll be celebrating a new remission "birthday," and many more to follow. I'm honestly looking forward to the day that I can hit my Sweet 16 "Remission" Re-Birthday, like my friend Colin celebrated during our LIVESTRONG Boston Marathon trip.

And, someday, we'll all look back at this journey after we find a cure for cancer and say, "Remember when?"

Maybe it'll be folklore to my nieces & nephew:
Me: "I had cancer."
Them: "What's that?"


THAT is my dream.
THAT is why we lace up our shoes everyday to run or ride.
THAT is why we work so hard to fundraise for a cure.
THAT is why the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Lance Armstrong Foundation work so hard to help patients and fund research.

We are all a part of something BIGGER than ourselves.

Thank you for all of your support through my battles, and for the support you give to the loved ones in your lives that are also fighting or that may have lost their battle. This day may not signify a cancer-free day for me this year, but it WILL serve as a day that reminds me that...

WE ARE NOT DONE.

If you're a fan of cures and addicted to running/cycling/music, then join the Cures Rock! Fan Page on Facebook. We've got some exciting events planned in the next few months, and I know ya'll want to be a part of it!

Also, there are 2 ways you can support me and the fight against cancer:

1. Sign up for the Cures Rock! "Light The Night" Team (a casual, evening, 2mi fundraising walk for LLS), and join our team on Friday, Nov 20th.

2. Support the Austin LIVESTRONG Challenge in October (benefitting LAF), by either joining the event or donating to my fundraising.

CURES ROCK! (Cancer does not.) Campaign to kick cancer to the curb!
Pictures:
Pic 1: Cures Rock! hits the street of the Amgen Tour of CA
Pic 2: LIVESTRONG Army Leaders from San Jose & San Diego show solidarity in the fight against cancer
Pic 3: Cures Rock! hits the LIVESTRONG Mission Wall at the Global Cancer Summit in Dublin, Ireland.

3 comments:

  1. It's still a big milestone, Julie. And now you will have to add another one when that happens. Start baking those cupcakes! Art

    ReplyDelete
  2. you still running the Disneyland Half Marathon next week?

    michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael - Well...I'm way out of shape b/c of all my treatments, but jog/walked about 10mi this weekend and lived to tell about it. ;) So, I think I'll still be planning on heading to O.C. for the race! Email me & I'll pass on my cell phone. I'd love to meet in person, especially since I didn't meet up w/ you when you were doing your crazy-awesome ride from D-land to D-world!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments!

Lance Armstrong's "Tour de France" Dedication to Julie

A great reminder that I had armies of support beside me in my fight. (Thanks, Lance!) Even with the recent media, this video isn't about the bike...but the fight against cancer. LIVESTRONG!

Stage 2 Dedication: Julie Westcott -- powered by http://www.livestrong.com

Guinness World Record Broken to Fight Cancer

We *Heart* Our Fans

Cures Rock! on Facebook

Donate & fight to kick cancer to the curb!

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.
January 1 - 17, 2010
All Content and Images (unless specified otherwise), Copyright Cures Rock! 2007-2012.