Sunday, September 28, 2008

I am an endurance runner.

We're into our 7th (or is it the 8th?) week of endurance training with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. It's hard to believe that in a couple months, I will be running another marathon! Who me?! I shocked and amazed myself when I crossed the finish line of my first marathon...and now I'm on to a 2nd (Carlsbad Marathon), AND I am planning my 3rd (San Diego Rock N Roll) and 4th (either Seattle Rock N Roll or Alaska Marathon). I've even started to look into adding cycling and swimming to my training, as I consider the possibility of a future triathlon. What?! This week, I looked at my wall calendar at work, and amidst notes on seminars, vacation time and work off-sites, was circled dates for Half Marathons (like the Silver Strand Half in Nov.) and marathons. When did I become this person?

I am finding that my endurance running continually reminds me how fragile life is and how each day may be our last. There is something in overcoming the "wall" runners hit that teaches me how to persevere. I am not running for myself. Now that I no longer have leukemia, I am running for all of those patients that cannot run, to help raise money for a cure. I know folks are always worried about "if" they'll be able to fund-raise, or "if" they'll be able to actually run 26.2 miles. All I can say is that you'll never know unless you put down those potato chips, get off the couch, start running and start asking your friends and family to donate to fight blood cancers. "Team in Training" has made endurance running a team sport of sorts, and they'll help you every step of the way. If I can finish chemo and train with them to run a marathon...anyone can! What are you waiting for?!

Please consider donating to support my fundraising efforts to stamp out blood cancers (and all cancers) for good! We raised over $10,000 last season, and I'm still raising money! Click here to donate. Also, if you'd like to join Team in Training, click here for more info.

1 comment:

  1. hopefully i'll be able to run the sd rock and roll with you in june!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments!

Lance Armstrong's "Tour de France" Dedication to Julie

A great reminder that I had armies of support beside me in my fight. (Thanks, Lance!) Even with the recent media, this video isn't about the bike...but the fight against cancer. LIVESTRONG!

Stage 2 Dedication: Julie Westcott -- powered by http://www.livestrong.com

Guinness World Record Broken to Fight Cancer

We *Heart* Our Fans

Cures Rock! on Facebook

Donate & fight to kick cancer to the curb!

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.
January 1 - 17, 2010
All Content and Images (unless specified otherwise), Copyright Cures Rock! 2007-2012.