Friday, July 11, 2008

USS John Paul Jones - Day at Sea!

I had a very unique opportunity this week to spend a day at sea aboard the USS John Paul Jones DDG-53, Missile-Guided Destroyer. Many thanks to Tim for inviting the TNT Nike Walk Team to tag along. It was an amazing experience, and it gave me an even deeper respect for those individuals that serve in the military to protect our country.
The "friends and family" day was impeccably arranged...the day flew by so fast! The agenda was packed: speed drills, man overboard drill, search and seizure drill, letting us shoot all the HUGE guns on the ship, re-enlistment ceremonies, DCC/fire drill, etc. I even had a chance to learn how to navigate, chart our location...and got to DRIVE the DESTROYER! (ok, now how cool is that?!) The job these men do is incredibly challenging, and I have the utmost respect for what they sacrifice to protect our country. Seriously, thank you to Tim & his wife, Theresa, for their invite and wonderful hosting!!!
I met other cancer survivors on the ship, and it reminded me of my own battles I've fought...and the battles so many others fight.
So, my deepest respect to those that stand "In Harm's Way" for our country's freedom.....and my sincerest prayers to those cancer warriors that are battling the fight of their life. In the words of John Paul Jones when asked if he was ready to surrender --- "Sir, I have not yet begun to fight!"

USS John Paul Jones DDG-53 Official Naval Site: http://www.john-paul-jones.navy.mil/default.aspx

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones

1 comment:

Please leave your comments!

Lance Armstrong's "Tour de France" Dedication to Julie

A great reminder that I had armies of support beside me in my fight. (Thanks, Lance!) Even with the recent media, this video isn't about the bike...but the fight against cancer. LIVESTRONG!

Stage 2 Dedication: Julie Westcott -- powered by http://www.livestrong.com

Guinness World Record Broken to Fight Cancer

We *Heart* Our Fans

Cures Rock! on Facebook

Donate & fight to kick cancer to the curb!

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.
January 1 - 17, 2010
All Content and Images (unless specified otherwise), Copyright Cures Rock! 2007-2012.