Friday, December 26, 2008

TNT Running Update

A few of you have asked for a running update. I know I've been a little remiss in my Team in Training (TNT) updates through my blog. You can always check out the right side of my blog, and you'll see my "mini Twitter posts" for when I just don't have more than 160 characters to say (which I realize for me is a small miracle...). Also, don't forget to follow "livestrong_sd" on Twitter, as it's our local San Diego LIVESTRONG Army update.
This season for Team in Training has been awesome....and frustrating...and challenging...and amazing... so many things rolled into one. The two things that always provide me with the motivation to lace up those running shoes for a loonnngggg run are the following:
1. Finding a Cure for Cancer:
My number one goal is to raise as much money as possible for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. This year, I've raised over $11,000 for LLS across seasons, and our San Diego team has already raised $120,000 this quarter, with a goal of $130,000!!!
2. The TNT Team:
It's the Team that motivates me. Where else to you meet a group of people dedicated to a good cause. They wake up at o-dark-thirty on Saturday mornings (for months) in order to do long runs in preparation for a full or half marathon...not to mention the endless mid-week runs. They raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society while they are training. Some have no personal connections to cancers, and others are survivors like me, or caregivers. No matter what, they seem to always bring their smiles and amazing spirits out there to pound the pavement for a cure. I am inspired by them, and it is their spirit and stories that make me try even harder.
TNT Update: Our San Diego TNT Run team is almost ready for our January marathons, which include the Disney World Marathon, Arizona Rock 'N' Roll Marathon and the Carlsbad Marathon. It's been quite a journey these past few months...sweat...laughter...injuries...great days...tough days... you name it. In August, many of us were strangers, and now we're about to complete some major life milestones together. I just think that ROCKS! I know that just like in my last marathon, I'll be equally touched during my race when I see so many "purple power" teammates out there. I am truly blessed to know that they have raised so much money for leukemia & lymphoma research. They are heroes. I have 4 more weeks to go until my 2nd full marathon --- the Carlsbad Marathon in northern San Diego County, CA. Yup...a full 26.2 miles of sweat and tears...you can bet I'll earn every dollar that you have all donated in support of this Mission. You are all welcome to come to the race and cheer. Just leave a "comment" to this post, and I'll contact you with the details of the "Cures Rock!" cheering squad for the San Diego TNT Run Team!
Thank you for all being a part of the process in finding a cure and supporting patients with blood cancers. Someday, when we do find a cure for blood cancers (and all cancers), you will know that you played a role in that discovery. CURES ROCK!!!
(Pic, L to R): Ensley, Julie & Captain Pattie at the TNT Fletcher's Cove 18-mile run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!

Lance Armstrong's "Tour de France" Dedication to Julie

A great reminder that I had armies of support beside me in my fight. (Thanks, Lance!) Even with the recent media, this video isn't about the bike...but the fight against cancer. LIVESTRONG!

Stage 2 Dedication: Julie Westcott -- powered by http://www.livestrong.com

Guinness World Record Broken to Fight Cancer

We *Heart* Our Fans

Cures Rock! on Facebook

Donate & fight to kick cancer to the curb!

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.
January 1 - 17, 2010
All Content and Images (unless specified otherwise), Copyright Cures Rock! 2007-2012.