Sunday, July 13, 2008

In Memory of Michele


"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long..." (Bladerunner, the movie)

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and 'Team in Training' lost a friend, honored teammate and fellow survivor-warrior this week. Her funeral services were this weekend. Michele was one of our TNT honored teammates. She was my age and also had a form of acute leukemia---in the end fighting 3 different cancer battles. Her story has always hit home on so many levels with me --- it was the one that touched my heart in my first informational meeting for TNT I ever attended. The news reminds me all too well that we are not done yet; We still need to keep raising money to find cures and focus on better detection of cancer in young adults. The TNT Nike Marathon team held a moment of silence for her before our run, and then we ran together in her memory down in Coronado. My deepest sympathy goes to her family and her TNT friends. There is nothing I can write that will do such an amazing being justice, so I leave you with this quote:

"The man I am writing about is not famous. It may be that he never will be. It may be that when his life at last comes to an end he will leave no more trace of his sojourn on earth than a stone thrown into a river leaves on the surface of the water. But it may be that the way of life that he has chosen for himself and the peculiar strength and sweetness of his character may have an ever-growing influence over his fellow men so that, long after his death perhaps, it may be realized that there lived in this age a very remarkable creature."
~W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you, Julie, and--of course--all of Michelle's family and friends. I can't even imagine. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments!

Lance Armstrong's "Tour de France" Dedication to Julie

A great reminder that I had armies of support beside me in my fight. (Thanks, Lance!) Even with the recent media, this video isn't about the bike...but the fight against cancer. LIVESTRONG!

Stage 2 Dedication: Julie Westcott -- powered by http://www.livestrong.com

Guinness World Record Broken to Fight Cancer

We *Heart* Our Fans

Cures Rock! on Facebook

Donate & fight to kick cancer to the curb!

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.
January 1 - 17, 2010
All Content and Images (unless specified otherwise), Copyright Cures Rock! 2007-2012.