Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Guiness World Record Attempt - 7 Day Run

Well, ya'll didn't really expect me to write that our Cures Rock! Tour event in January (http://www.curesrocktour.com/) was the end of our cancer awareness stunts this year...did you?

If you caught the last day of that Cures Rock! Tour blog (check out my blog for dates January 16, 2010), you'd see that the CR Team was already talking about what was next. We were touched by the doctors and patients we met along the route...and it became all too clear that until there was a cure for cancer, we cannot stop.

Next stop? Hope. My friend, Mike, has been awesome enough to sign up for another amazing feat in order to raise awareness about blood cancers and cancer in young adults. And, perhaps, spread some inspiration along the way...(Thanks, Mike!)

We're sick of cancer...and this time -- WE ARE GOING BIG! (As if running from San Diego to Phoenix wasn't big enough!) Mike will be attempting to break the Guiness Book of World Records for the most amount of miles run in one week by an individual (May 30 - June 6 THIS YEAR!). It will culminate at the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Marathon! The record stands at 351 miles...and he'll break it. Check out our web site at: http://www.gwr7dayrun.com/ for the info & his daily blog! (And, yes, I'll be twittering, facebooking & blogging for Cures Rock! the entire time, as I'll be there every day.)

People have asked me several times this week what I think about Mike attempting this feat. Here's what I think:

I am grateful. I am lucky to still be alive after battling cancer so many times, and I'm thankful for each day I'm on my path. I mean it. I have truly the most amazing friends in the world. In particular, Mike stood by me as a warrior in my own fight with cancer, embraced the spirit of Cures Rock! and has helped me immeasureable in growing this advocacy campaign. He hates cancer as much as I do. All the volunteers, runners, LLS and sponsors are also all in this fight for a cure.

The motto for the GWR 7 Day Run?

RECORDS CAN BE BROKEN. CANCER CAN BE CURED.

CURES ROCK! Thanks for joining Mike, the Cures Rock! crew and LLS on another adventure. Please spread the word on our GWR site & blog, my blog, our facebook page, etc.
Pictured: Julie, Suz, Colin & Mike in Hope, Arizona during the Cures Rock! Tour (January 2010)
Cures Rock Tour (from Jan) site: http://www.curesrocktour.com/
Cures Rock! on Facebook: www.Facebook.com/curesrock
Cures Rock! on Twitter: www.Twitter.com/curesrock
Cures Rock! Blog: http://www.curesrock.com/

1 comment:

  1. Go Mike, go Julie, go Cures Rock! In the picture, I look on the "Do Not Pass" sign as someday saying "Cancer, Stop! You will not pass!" :) Art

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments!

Lance Armstrong's "Tour de France" Dedication to Julie

A great reminder that I had armies of support beside me in my fight. (Thanks, Lance!) Even with the recent media, this video isn't about the bike...but the fight against cancer. LIVESTRONG!

Stage 2 Dedication: Julie Westcott -- powered by http://www.livestrong.com

Guinness World Record Broken to Fight Cancer

We *Heart* Our Fans

Cures Rock! on Facebook

Donate & fight to kick cancer to the curb!

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.
January 1 - 17, 2010
All Content and Images (unless specified otherwise), Copyright Cures Rock! 2007-2012.