Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day to Cures Rock! Stars

There's two Cures Rock! Stars in particular that stand out to me, and since it's Mother's Day today, I'd like to highlight some special moms: my sisters! My twin joined TEAM to run her 1st marathon with me this May 31 at the San Diego Rock 'N' Roll Marathon! Not only is she super-mom, but she finds time to run for the TNT charity with me! Another special LLS Supporter is my big sis. She's not running on team, but she spent countless hours making those beatiful "Bracelets for Cures," which raised $1,000 for the LLS, and they now serve as awareness bracelets for so many friends and teammates. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Very often, we talk about the amazing honored teammates of Team In Training that we run for on TEAM. These are the individuals that are fighting cancer, survivors or our own personal connections to cancer. They keep us going on our long runs because we know they've faced battles much harder than our long runs.

Today, I'd like to call out all the incredible members of the North County San Diego Run Team for "Team in Training" that run on behalf of the honored teammates. They raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) to help the LLS Mission to fight blood cancer and help patients.

At the beginning of season, I worked with TNT to start a "Cures Rock! Star" fundraising status level to encourage participants to raise $1,000 above their minimum fundraising. This program has raised an additional ~$35,000 more than expected so far this season, and our NC San Diego TEAM now has 22 Cures Rock! Stars!!! This program has been implemented throughout ALL the teams of the San Diego Chapter (Walk, Run & Triathlon), so you can do the math from there! I am so proud of all these participants.

On Saturday, our TNT Team ran 20-21 miles as a final practice run before race day -- and they did amazing. All I saw out there were a hundred smiles of teammates that had trained for months for their race, while raising over a HALF MILLION DOLLARS to fight blood cancer! The stories of "why" they run are beautiful, sad and inspiring, and I am thankful to have met such giving people.

A big THANK YOU to the team and good luck in your final weeks of training! For those interested in donating to the Cures Rock! team, please click here.
Pic #1: Hanging out with my sisters
Pic #2: My twin, Gabbi, Erin & Donna: Mile 10 of 20!
Pic #3: My twin & Gabbi: Mile 5 of 20!
Pic #4: My twin, Gabbi, Erin & Donna: Mile 20 of 20!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments!

Lance Armstrong's "Tour de France" Dedication to Julie

A great reminder that I had armies of support beside me in my fight. (Thanks, Lance!) Even with the recent media, this video isn't about the bike...but the fight against cancer. LIVESTRONG!

Stage 2 Dedication: Julie Westcott -- powered by http://www.livestrong.com

Guinness World Record Broken to Fight Cancer

We *Heart* Our Fans

Cures Rock! on Facebook

Donate & fight to kick cancer to the curb!

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.

500 Miles. 17 days. 2 States. 1 Mission to Cure Cancer.
January 1 - 17, 2010
All Content and Images (unless specified otherwise), Copyright Cures Rock! 2007-2012.